Dr Uhlen research is focused on protein science, antibody engineering and precision medicine and range from basic research in human and microbial biology to more applied research, including clinical applications. The research has resulted more than 650 publications with a current h-index of 100 (Google Scholar). His group was the first to describe a number of innovations in science including:
- engineered protein A and protein G for purification of antibodies
- affinity tags for purification of recombinant fusion proteins
- solid phase methods for DNA handling using the biotin-streptavidin system
- Pyrosequencing leading to the first next generation DNA sequencing instrument
- Affibodies – protein binders aimed for therapeutic applications
Since 2003, he has led an international effort to systematically map the human proteome with antibodies and to create an open source knowledge-based resource called the Human Protein Atlas (www.proteinatlas.org).
Visit Mathias Uhlen's personal page